Wednesday, April 15, 2009

FINE. I GIVE IN.

Burn me for a fool, call me a sucker for peer pressure, or whatever you want.  I did it.  I caved.  I'm blogging again. *curses the webernet gods*

Forgetting my consternation at being sucked back into this addictive vortex of insanity, what better way could I celebrate my long-awaited (am I right?) return to the blogosphere than with a post dedicated to Lucius, my carnivorous pitcher plant?

That is, he will be a carnivorous pitcher plant (Sarracenia minor) in a few months.  Right now he's a couple of seeds living in a mini-terrarium, which itself resides on the topmost shelf of the family refrigerator.  He was a gift from Morgan, who'd gotten him while in San Francisco with her school orchestra.  Check out all his magesty!


When I was in the fourth grade, I had the great opportunity to care for a small Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) for a few months until he died, no doubt as a result of my lack of Dionaea horticultural knowledge. Though our time together was short-lived, I loved my little botanical monster. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed nearly to the point of tears when Morgan gave the pitcher plant seeds to me. It was a chance to redeem myself to Caryophlalles the world over.


Thomas and I planted the seeds on April 8th, in the mini-terrarium which was included in the package.  I christened my little darling "Lucius," in honor of one of my favorite Slytherins.


Aside from the occasional photo shoot (*blushes*  It's to record his growth, ok?!), he will spend his time in the fridge for the next six weeks or so, undergoing the mandatory pre-sprouting hibernation phase.  Hopefully I will begin to see growth 'round mid-May. 


I thought this one was just so cute.  Cookie wasn't very interested in Lucius, however.  She was much more excited about playing fetch with me.


Teh artsy pose!


Hehe.  Yes, that's a wedding picture of my parents.


And those are wedding pictures of my grandparents. <_<>_> 

Also, Morgie and I were noodling around with the macro feature on Ashitaka (camera) and discovered that we could actually get some decent close-ups of our eyes.  How fun is that?  The trick is being able to hold still enough for them to come out properly.  This'n is Morgie's.


And Sano.


Yours truly.  Hehe, I like my vein.



Weird first post back, but hey - you gotta give me points for originality.  It's one of my gifts. 

7 comments:

sayfuzzypickles said...

Aww! Lucious is cute, er, his egg shaped home is cute I should say. I love all your artsy pictures of him/it. I also love the eyeball pictures. I want you to take some of the rest of us and line 'em all up and see if people can guess who they are. NICE post.

Kelly said...

Welcome back! I was there when Morgan gave you the gift and I remember being so impressed that your sis brought home really special things for her family members, and that you were very happy. Good luck with your plant. Those eyeball photos are cool, especially when you look at all three of them together. It's like a work of art in itself.

Brooke said...

Yay for Madison! And Lucious! :D

So guess what!? I'm starting a blog to record my travels around Europe this summer. Woot woot! It's: atisket--atasket.blogspot.com

P.S. Nice eyeballs.

me and the boys said...

Woo-hoo! YOU"RE BACK!! And because I love to quote Bob Wiley, "I just never gave up hope" that you'd be blogging once again. It just wasn't the same without your outlook on life to read!! Love your plant's home (and esp. the wedding picture!). Welcome back.
p.s. Love the HP reference--quite ingenious!

Maryanne said...

Okay, several times I came VERY close to removing your blog link from my blog roll since you had officially signed out of blogersphere. HOWEVER, I KNEW that you couldn't stay away forever so I left you there, holding out much hope, just waiting and waiting and waiting. Well my patience paid off because, whether you like it or not....YOU. ARE. BACK!!

Good luck with your little monster. He is so...."you!"

Megan Laurel said...

Woo! i really like the eye pics! I love your eye color! :) and Lucious is SO cute! :) i am so glad we are facebook friends:)

Aubrey Michelle said...

I could have guessed who's eye it belongs too!!!

You will definitely need to update the pitcher plant's progress!!