Friday, September 19, 2008

Chinese Name


First off, I'd like to take a few moments to laugh about this photo.  


This is one of the classrooms in Kaiyin school where I teach. Above the blackboard it reads "Cooperate to Explore the Universe" and "Widely Learn and Perstently Work." I know what they're trying to say, but it's still funny. They come up with the most bizarre ways to word things.

But now to the main event. *does a little happy dance*  I gots a Chinese name!  My local coordinator friend, Catherine, gave it to me last week.  I've been meaning to post about it, but I kept forgetting after all the fun stuff that happened in Yangshuo.  Ahem.  

Here it is: Yu Mei.  It means 'beautiful dawn' or the beginning of spring.  Isn't that the best name ever?!  I love it!  It's so Lord of the Rings.  

And yes, that happy dance was Thriller.

11 comments:

Krista-la said...

Schweet. *breaks out into song* Thriller....

Maryanne said...

It's so true! Often when I am reading some instruction manual to some item that was made in China I can always tell that some Chinese guy wrote it because of the goofy wording or spelling :o)

So how do you pronounce your name?
Yu = you or yuh (as in duh)
Mei = me or may or my or meh (as in, um, ketchup - the "ke" part - sorry I can't think of anything else that it rhymes with.)

Julie V. said...

Love the nam Yu Mei! It will take me probably until the time you return to remember it. Have you taught anyone at the school any of your sweet Thriller dancing skills? You should.

Brooke said...

Haha. I've got to see this dance when you get home.

Koey said...

Yay! A real Chinese name! And a cool one, at that! Wow how totally awesome! You are so lucky.

Lol and I have to laugh that there is a pretty intense English error in a school that is trying to teach kids English...

Krista-la said...

I'm quite jealous that you have a Chinese name. It's so cool!!!

Anonymous said...

wow madison! i already memorized it!(your name!)well, i want to join you in your *happy dance*! that made me think of the song over again! I'm glad that you are happy and safe. I also think the thing on the board was hilarious but I didn't quite get it, but it was still funny. love Brinley
p.s. we should chat sometime :)

Anonymous said...

Nice name! Hey umm on the other pics about your vacation, were those two guys water skiing or something? Cause to me it looks like they are walking on water =p

Kelly said...

I'm with Maryanne, wondering how to pronounce your Chinese nombre.

Maryanne said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADISON!!! I KNOW that where you are it's not your birthday anymore but....it's still your birthday where I am right now so does that count?

20-years-old....WOO-HOO!! A teenager no more!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday, Madison! I was waiting for a birthday post from you to be able to wish you a HB, but I'll just piggy-back my comment on this one. I hope it was happy. You're now in your TWENTIES! So mature. I love you!

Aunt Kelly