My mom's been bugging me for ages to take photos of my class, and today I finally remembered to do so. I love my students; they're sweet and fun kids. Last week was really hard, because I had no idea what I was doing and they didn't respect me as a teacher. We're told to be strict and firm with our students for about a week or two at first until they recognize you as the authority, and then you can really start to have fun. On the whole, they don't need much discipline, which makes my job really easy. Our first class rule is that no one is allowed to speak any Chinese, and if that happens, the perpetrator is required to sit in the Chinese chair for a minute or two. It's basically a time-out for speaking Chinese. They're pretty good about it, and if anyone ever slips into their native tongue, Annie is the first one to tattle. "Teacher, Chinese!" and she points to the guilty party. It's funny.
The children were all given English names when they started English classes a few years ago. They're about eight or nine years old and can speak fairly well, so my job is to get them reading.
These two were goofing around during the break. On the left is Julie, and on the right is Bobby, my most rambunctious student. They are both big sweethearts. Bobby always likes to hold my hand when we go out for a break.
Bobby is really into martial arts. He loves to run around the classroom and do handstands. I'm really jealous of his splits.
Melissa is very intelligent. The first couple of days I had a hard time with her because she wasn't willing to listen to me, but now she's my top student. She's eager to learn and is usually the first one done with an assignment.
Andrew is also in the top of the class. He likes to goof around and be silly. Sometimes during an activity he'll give an incorrect answer just to make everyone laugh.
Mary and Annie are fun girls. They are having a tough time catching on to the reading, but they improve every day. Mary is very affectionate and always sits next to me when we read a book.
Here are the tables. Melissa is showing off a game we play to teach consonant sounds. On the paper are five target consonants and one or two random consonants. I read a word that begins with one of those five target consonants, and they point to the right one and shout out the right letter.
Here they are practicing their printing.
Teaching is very rewarding. I dread making lesson plans every day, but once I get into the classroom and start teaching the students the time flies by. They're really good kids.
I was in a mall in the nearby of Shenzhen this weekend, and I saw this dental office. I thought it looked pretty funny right there next to the knockoff Gucci bag stands and pirated dvd stores.
This guy was getting a set of dentures. The Chinese aren't really into dental hygiene, so most of them have lots of fillings and crowns.



10 comments:
SO adorable! That looks like so much fun. It's so cute that they want to hold your hand and sit by you and stuff. Make sure you save lots of funny stories to post!
<3 I miss you! Sounds like you're doing well though :)
Oh, they are SO cute!! I love their names. Did they pick them themselves? (I love Bobby - not one you hear very often anymore!).
That dental office is a crack-up! You can actually SEE them doing their dentistry from the sidewalk outside?? That's so weird!
aawwwww!!!! so cute!!!! That is SOO cute of them!! i love little kids! and i bet they love you so much!! :) they are lucky chillins! and thats cool they have english...i mean engrish names ;) and thats fun the have a corner to sit in if they slip chinese:) Well i'm excited for you, thats great! i am not one who likes teaching, so i think thats such a neat acheivement and thing to do:) keep it up! :) love ya!
Oh man, how cute! And how lucky are you to have a student named Bobby!!!! Seriously that totally rocks! ha ha. Oh and I love the pics of the dental work. I don't know why that cracks me up so bad...partly because I totally expect it of you, you dentist's daughter, and partly because you are totally right about the dental hygiene. It was like it was, you know, sort of like braces or plastic surgery? Like, eh, you can brush your teeth if you really want to...it was nasty. :) Though I'm sure you noticed.
Oh my goodness! I am so jealous! You are teaching! Chinese children, too! :) They are absolutely adorable. I'm sure they love you as their teacher!
Those kids are so cute. I liked reading about each of them. Bobby was impressive with those side splits! Ouch! I'm glad you took some pictures to share with us. I agree with Brooke, I'm sure the kids think you're an awesome teacher.
OK, I'm dying! How cute are those kids! And there is a Julie! Give her a big hug for me and tell her to make sure she brushes her teeth. Her hair cut was so cute. I love Bobby. I clicked on all the pictures so I could see the full size and his legs were totally buggered up. You can tell he is an active boy. How cute. The class room is so sterile. Can you put some art work up on the walls or something? I love that Chinese chair story with the one tattle teller. :) Have so much fun. I LOVE THIS POST. I love all the details. It gives me a little glimpse of what you are doing. THANKS!!! great pictures too. Maybe you could do a post on the town you live in, complete with pictures of those yummy dumplings you've told me about *hint hint*.
Oh my goodness! Those kids are so precious! Asian kids have to be the cutest there are. They are adorable! You must be having so much fun with them little chillins! I just want to fly out there and hug them. :)
Oh my--this post brings back so many memories for me; of course your whole trip does. What cute kids!! I remember bringing toothbrushes over to Russia and teaching a whole class on how to brush your teeth because their teeth are awful too!! Gold and silver smiles everywhere! Will you be doing any family visits? Are these like your "homeroom" kids? Or do you have the same ones all day? I can't remember if you mentioned all the above before in an earlier post. What a great experience!!
Your picture of the ducks in the street should be in some international magazine. I spent some time with your mom today doing some genealogy on your great great grandfather Johnny Mangum (if I remember the name right) we found him with his father and family on some census records and...well, I'll let your mom tell you. Take care of yourself!
Love AUnt Jan
Post a Comment