Not to be rude or anything about the girls here, but they aren't really my type of people. They are all very nice and cool and everything, but ultimately, we don't have very much of anything in common. I'm perfectly content to do things on my own, but it is nice to have friends that you can really gel with, you know? And this isn't for lack of trying! I've put myself 'out there,' as my mom likes to say, but we just haven't clicked.
Last night we went out to celebrate one girl's birthday, and after dinner they wanted to go dancing. *cue the getaway attempt* I'm not a fan of dancing. Sure, I went to plenty in high school, but that was when I had a big group that I could go hang out with and we could dance poorly together. Being the introvert that I am, I took the bus home and planned on cozying up with my copy of Lord of the Rings and some tunes. To be honest, that's my idea of a good Saturday night.
My plan quickly imploded when I got back to my apartment and discovered I was locked out, and my roommates were sure not to return until 2 or 3 am. Great. It was probably 11 o'clock. It's times like these when I wish I really did have the Force. Anyway, I didn't want to sit in the steaming hot hall for four hours, so I knocked an apartment door and hoped for the best. I didn't really know the girls inside, but anything was better than sitting on a tile floor until the party came home.
The three girls inside were friendly and invited me to chill with them until my roommates got back with the key. One girl noticed Lord of the Rings in my hand (I have taken to carrying it around with me in case I have some down time) and professed her love for the series. "Oh, sure, she probably just saw the movies and thinks Legolas is hot." I thought. The four of us started chatting, and the conversation quickly turned into a list of our favorite things. I mentioned that I am into Star Wars in a big way, and they all excitedly agreed. "Sure," I thought again. People always say that, but then when you actually try to talk to them about it, they say stuff like "Who's Qui-Gon Jinn?" and "Wait, Yoda's the little green guy, right?" I didn't have high hopes for these girls. The same girl who mentioned Lord of the Rings, whose name escapes me, evidently as suspicious of my fanhood as I was of hers, then asked if I knew what the acronym TIE means on TIE fighter. I excitedly exclaimed "twin ion engines" in unison with her. That was the clincher. If somebody knows that TIE stands for twin ion engines, you know that you have found a legit Star Wars fan.
After that, we had a great time discovering that their group are into pretty much the same things as I am. Between Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, anime, even Veggie Tales and Glenn Beck (that same girl has a copy of An Inconvenient Book!), I think we'll have plenty to enjoy together.




12 comments:
Madison!! i am SO glad you found some nerds:) And i am glad to see that things are getting better. I watched like 5 episodes of Avitar today with gloria, and i lOVE it! :) i just hope i have enought time to watch the rest:) I havent had a Nerd connection yet down south, but given time, i will:) You should check out my blog too:) Well LOVE YOU and toodles!
The nerds unite!!! Yippee, I am so glad you found some kindred spirits. How sad you rode home alone on the bus to find yourself locked out, but things always work out for the better, don't they?
Glenn Beck!
I threw up in my mouth a little. ;)
madison we miss you a lot! that's awesome you found some friends! how are you?
Ha ha...the nerd connection! I knew it was coming at some point. That's the great thing about nerds...we're every where! You just can't escape it. Oh, and I can totally see that playing out in my head, both of you thinking, "Well, she's probably just a wannabe who's being nice to me." Ha ha that's so awesome! I'm proud of you for just knocking on a door. It was probably like nerd magnetism. Or maybe you have some kind of nerd variety of Spidey sense. Ooh, or psychic powers! ;)
I have no idea what any of this nonsense is that you're referring to. I'm clearly not a nerd. But I know you and I still get along just peachy. Don't exclude those of whom do not fit into your category of similar likes because you might miss out on some other potentially wonderful friends. I'm still excited you were able to find some good out of the not-so-good situation.
By nonsense, I mean all those Star Wars, etc. things you were referring to.
It worked!! It worked!! I'm FINALLY able to see your blog. I have only read this one post, so far, but I'll be checking out the rest of it for sure. I would have to agree with Kelly, I don't know all the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings terms, but I think you and I get along pretty well. The friendships will come, it just takes time. You can't spend months on end with these people and not make some other friends who might seem quite unlikely right now, so keep your eyes open.;) By the way, I'm no dancer either, but some of my favorite memories of Russia are going dancing at an outdoor dance place overlooking the Black Sea (but that was at the end of our stay there and everyone already knew what a dork I was and that I couldn't dance!!) Thanks for inviting me on--now I don't have to bug your mom so much either!
Birds of a feather....!
You may not believe this Madison but it's true - I was alive when the first Star Wars was released and I remember going to see it at the North Star Drive Inn in North Ogden. I fell asleep about 15 minutes into it.
However, I later went on to become a Yoda FANATIC! I had a Yoda t-shirt (which I wore until it could stand on its own in the corner!), a Yoda ceramic mug, a Yoda lamp next to my bed, Yoda lunch box, Yoda Trapper Keeper (do you know what that is?). So ya, Yoda basically was my life. I was obsessed.
Oh and off the subject - your friend Nicole is in Brooke's ward!!! And do you remember Shelby Luke from Lincoln, Nebraska? She is in her ward too! Shelby had her first sleep-over with Brooke and she shouted that out to the entire Sunday School class on Sunday when Brooke stood up and introduced herself :D Plus do you remember Jaycee Brammer from Norman? Yes, her too!! Jaycee and Brooke used to play together when Brooke was 2 and Jaycee was 3. Sooo wild and crazy!
That's so crazy, but awesome for you to have found someone so close in proximity and interests! Did you get a chance to see Clone Wars before you left? By the way, thanks for commenting! It made my day :)
PS: I AM SO Glad I got a blog too! its fun to keep in touch that way:) hope things are going well for ya!
FELLOW NERDS!!! TRUE FANS!!! Not just those fakers...*glare of doom*. Tee hee. TIE. That's a great test to keep in mind. I am missing my fellow Jedi Master, but "soon, you will be with him. Yes...hmmmm." Avatar rocks, and so do you. :)
Post a Comment