Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Not Quite Yet Settled, But Better

I should write depressing blog posts more often; I get far more comments on those!

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who emailed/commented after my last post.  I'm doing much better, thank you, and I am definitely not counting down the days until I leave anymore.  Having money and knowing where one's next meal will come from has sure lightened my load.  Today I went to the bank and exchanged my traveler's cheques, which was a bit of a hassle, but at least it's done.

Homesickness, I have discovered, is most effectively remedied with a combination of at-home support, food (especially Oreos), and staying busy.  For right now, I don't have much to do, as we do not begin teaching until this coming Monday.  It's times when I'm just sitting around in my apartment that I feel the most dejected.  My sadness lessens the minute I get up and start doing something, whether it be going for a walk, practicing my Taekwondo, knitting my Slytherin scarf, reading a book, or cleaning the apartment.  

Now that I have money and can buy a bus ticket, my next big objective is to get familiar with the area.  I don't mind spending large amounts of time alone, in fact, I quite enjoy it.  Exploring is going to be my new pastime.  Next time I go out, I will take plenty of pictures and then this blog will (hopefully) start to get interesting.

I love and miss you all, though perhaps just a little less than last time.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

At least you know that you're not forgotten! I'm glad things are better now and you got some Oreos and some cash. I look forward to your pictures and your less depressing posts. But feel free to be honest too! If anything, you could get more comments and emails that way.

Tot ziens!

Koey said...

Oreos! Lol. Remember eating those on the bus after we went to the caves in...huh. Where was that? Guilin? Anyway. I remember how good it was to know that Oreos taste the same in China as they do in the states, so I totally, totally know what you mean by that. And can I just say...if there was ever a doubt as to whether or not you're a nerd (which, btw, there wasn't, lol), the world now has solid proof. Who else would remedy homesickness with practicing taekowndo, knitting a Slytherin themed scarf, reading, and cleaning? I hope that one day I, too, can achieve that level of nerd. :)

Ooh, and exploring sounds fun! You're much more brave than I am. I would be too scared of getting lost. But yes! Take pictures! I want to see what your area looks like! And can you post some pics of your dorm too? And also, though this may be a dumb question, approximately where is your city? North, south, west, east? What province is it in? I'm curious to see where it is on the map.

And I am very glad to hear you're a happier camper. And I'm glad to hear that you have money now. And I'm even glad to hear that you don't miss us all quite as much, though I honestly never thought I would say that... :)

Anyway, continue to enjoy. And ps: the 'rents say hi. And Bobby and Meagan do too. :)

Maryanne said...

Chocolate cures everything.

Julie V. said...

That's my girl. Hang in there! Have fun and I agree, go exploring. We love you too.

Marie said...

Excited for pictures!!

Krista-la said...

Oreos sure are tasty. I'm so glad that things are brightening as the days go by. Remember when Anakin first left home? Little Ani, off to explore the universe. I'm glad you didn't turn out like him...*shudder*... :)