Sunday, August 24, 2008

Until I Get Settled...

Yesterday was a long day.  Our group of about 45 got on the train to head from Hong Kong to a city in the mainland called Guangzhou, and from there we were to split up and make for our different cities.  18 people were in my group, going to Zhongshan.

The two-hour train ride was uneventful once we actually got to the train station.  The thing that made it difficult is that, in addition to our two huge suitcases per person, each around 50 pounds, with our personal things and teaching supplies, we all have two smaller carry-on sized bags.  My family can attest to how insane it was to lug around my bags even with seven people - now imagine me doing it alone.  My luggage weighed more than I did.  To say the least, we were all drenched in sweat by the time we made it to the train station.

Once we got to Guangzhou, we waited for a half hour for our luggage to be brought to us.  The Cunming city people had another train to catch, and didn't have much time.  Finally our luggage arrived, and from there we had to transport it down two huge two-story escalators to get to the bus pick-up area.  I was one of the first ones to go, so I avoided most of the confusion that followed.  I wound up just taking two bags at a time and running back up the stairs to bring down the others.  One girl just behind me, however, decided to take all of hers at once.  This was a mistake.  She dropped her bag at the very bottom of the escalator and caused a big pile-up.  Luckily the escalator stopped.  After that, we all had to run up and down the stairs to cart the bags down.  And through all of this, we are dripping with sweat some more because the train station doesn't have air conditioning or even ceiling fans.  

We were supposed to have been met by someone who would be taking our group on the bus to Zhongshan, but he didn't show.  The guy escorting the Cunming people finally got a hold of somebody, and found out that the Zhongshan teachers weren't even supposed to get on the train.  There was a bus in Hong Kong that was going to take us directly to our school.  Yeah.  We were a little peeved.  This meant that the 18 of us had to wait another two hours in the scorching heat until another bus could take us to our city. 

The bus arrived, and the underneath storage compartment was so small that we were only able to fit about half of our bags there.  The rest of them went up in the bus, piled on seats so that the bus was completely stuffed full.  The only good thing about this is that I got to sit in the tour guide seat at the front of the bus, which was pretty fun.  (I tried to post a video that I took of the ride, but I got this message all in Chinese and it wouldn't let me.)  My lunch was a McDonald's ice cream cone because that's all I could afford with the money I had on me.

We finally got to my school in Zhongshan and the three other people with me got off.  Then we lugged our bags up four flights of stairs to our apartments, which I will have to describe sometime later.  I can only complain so much in one post.  I'm just glad to say that I'm settled... a bit.  I got all my stuff unpacked and organized, so at least I have that.  Dinner was a Cup O' Noodles and a few slices of bread.

I'm not going to lie - I'm hating life right now.  I am feeling homesick like I wouldn't have imagined possible, and I keep telling myself that I only have four months of this to go.  I didn't cry myself to sleep, but sure felt like it.  I know this will get better once I'm used to the area and once I have a little peace of mind about my financial situation.  (Apparently I did the wort possible thing you can do: I brought only traveler's cheques and a credit card.  Traveler's cheques are almost impossible to exchange unless you go to the city and find the right bank, and I can't get a cash advance on my credit card until I have a PIN.)  Today I'm taking a bus with some other teachers to see our foreign coordinator, Mary, and hopefully she can help me out with that.  I'm trying to have a positive attitude about this.  It is completely up to me whether or not I have a good time, but I think I'm entitled to at least a few days of misery.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh man, Madison. That sounds like a tough start. Just pretend you are in the "O"lympics the next time you have to do any heavy duty luggage lifting and endurance carying, then pretend you won the gold metal at the end of it. You do have a good final thought, that it's up to you on how you'll take this all in.

It was a rather shocking transition, going from living in your parents luxurious, comfortable home to being in a foreign country, alone, so to speak, to a dorm-like existence and have to completely rely on yourself. Welcome to the jungle!

You now might be able to see why I was so worried about you going over there! I knew it wouldn't be easy. But one thing it will do is make you stronger. I hope you get some better food in you and can get some cash. Who advised you to only take traveler's cheques and a credit card (without a PIN???), I wonder. Not good. Oh well, good luck trying to figure something out.

I'll be thinking of you...but I already have been. I'll just be thinking of you more!

Love,
Aunt Kelly

Julie V. said...

Hi there Madison!
I was shocked to read your email saying how homesick you were! Two days before when you called you seemed fine! Of course, that was before you left Hong Kong. You have the right attitude right now. Things will settle down and you will be fine once you get some money and start teaching. Remember this will all be for your learning and good. What stories you will have to tell. Are some of the other kids miserable too? Did they know your money situation? I am excited for you, just hang in there like I know you will.
Everyone here is so excited for you.
I love you! Nathaniel loves your phone btw.
*mommie*

Kelly said...

It's funny when I go back to read a comment I left and see how many spelling mistakes I made when I am typing fast and not thinking.

May I offer the following corrections to my previous post:

carrying (not carying)
gold medal (not metal)

For anyone else, I wouldn't worry about it, but I know that spelling is something you notice. I also wanted you to know I have been thinking of you all day, hoping you're doing better. And since you haven't updated your blog, you get multiple commments for one post. Consider it a bonus.

Maryanne said...

Oh Madison. What a time you've had! I hope you've recovered from that fairly ridiculous day.

So I want to say... don't worry! Keep your chin up and be assured that IT WILL GET BETTER! While reading your post I was reminded of how I felt when we moved to England. You know it's WAY different when you are in a foreign country on VACATION and know you that you will only be there for a week or two rather than to be in a foreign country and NOT be on vacation and know that you are there for a while (did I make any sense with that?). Suddenly it takes on a completely different perspective. When we arrived in England it was so hard. We had no home for 2 months so we lived out of suitcases in hotels and bed and breakfasts, we were so far away from our families, life there was so different. But then after a while everything worked out and before we knew it we loved it there! Just remember that time will make things a lot better. I think this experience will end up being one that you love and one of which you will have great memories!

(After reading Kelly's comment I'm paraniod that I spelt something wrong! tee hee)

David said...

Travel is only glamorous in retrospect.
--Paul Theroux

Megan Laurel said...

Oh wow Madison, I am sorry for all the Busy Unfortunate things that have happened and has made you feel miserable, I am praying for you , and yes its going to be a change, I am in a change right now too. i am with you. my first week was good, but then when i came home on my birthday, i was feeling depressed and hated things. and Feeling sorry for myself, But i know i'm supposed to be here, as you are supposed to be there. Things will get better and i i will be praying for you. We are in this together, in a way. We can get through this. I know we dont have phones to talk, but i'll email as much as i can. Hang in there babe, you are amazing. Give it a while. I'm So excited for you, you can Get through this!

Kelly said...

Here we go...I'm now leaving a third comment on your ONE post. You must be bizzee. Please email me your address so I can send you two DVDs from your sweet Uncle Kelly on how to learn Chinese.

You say you really like comments, so I'm thinking that I'm increasing my chances at favorite aunt status about now. (Do I sound like Aunt Tracy or what???)

Krista-la said...

Indeed, I am sorry that it has taken such delay for me to comment. I'm sorry that you had such a rough time at first. But hey! Without the cloudy days we wouldn't appreciate the sunny ones half as much, right? Or...opposite if your like us and are fascinated by storms.